Phish.net: a Project of the Mockingbird Foundation


Comments

n00b100 Reply
n00b100 D-Light, huh? Eh, could be worse. Jam rules, of course.
Score: 0
Chim_Richalds Reply
WAS THERE'D... yeah, just flows along.. then the two movements inside.. just buttery. they have acheived a level of fluency that is late 90ish... once they settle in a little bit more theyll take more chances.. This light wasnt as 3 dimesional as shit I saw in 1.0, but Phish can get there no doubt.. but right now, if they don't make a new album they wont progress.
Score: 0
coop46 Reply
Definitely one of the best and most fluent/dynamic jams of 3.0, as well as just plain kick-ass.
Score: 0
nichobert Reply
nichobert IMO it feels MORE three(four!) dimensional than the majority of 1.0 jams. Obviously, there are some outliers, as this isn't the best jam all time or anything, but holy crap this really melds together the best qualities of early 90s & late 90s improv in a way that feels completely fresh. Groove-oriented but not to the point where it just feels like one long vamp, textural ambiance but with a purpose instead of just hanging on the wall looking pretty for the late 90s/2.0 stuff, and running through a bunch of sounds and themes while ping-ponging off of each other and constantly altering what they're doing like the early 90s, but not in a way that sounds contrived with proggish douchebaggery. It's like the eight tentacled amoeba is learning to play speed-jazz.

Either way, in general I don't think they want to be the kind of band that jams that much. Internet loudmouths like us aside, there truly aren't many people going from town to town with this band anymore. They're playing in the moment, and for the most part they're playing the songs that they enjoy playing the most. Now, the outpouring of affection over these shows MAY make them want to up the jam ante a little bit, but do you really think they went backstage after OKC and heard a bunch of shit about how St. Louis was so much better?
Phish will start jamming more if they want to. As much fun as they seemed to be having at Dicks, they looked just as joyful at Superball running through about 700 songs in a day. They've reached a point where the pressure is gone. A point where people just BASK in the jams instead of picking them apart and whining about how they didn't go in the direction they wanted them to. Sitting here in 2012 it seems absolutely fucking ludicrous to bitch about the improv not sounding the way we wanted it to, doesn't it?
I can't blame Phish at all if they want to keep it that way. And I also won't be shocked if they continue to have flare-ups like this, like they've had their whole career, where suddenly they become Gods for a weekend or a week and then return to their earthly bodies.

And christ almighty, what are they playing at the end? I keep thinking of one of the bluesman guest appearances from 97 and I can't place it.
Score: 6
nichobert Reply
nichobert Light-> 5 minutes of Back At The Chicken Shack?

Where It's At?
Score: 0
andrewrose Reply
andrewrose I like this jam, but I think it's becoming the most overrated one of the year. The groovy Manteca/Moma eseque middle sequence is grand, as is the very end. But the first big chunk is kind of aimless 09-ish, and the 2011-style rock-out stretch is a bit boring to my ears as well. I'll take the 8/31 Carini over this! [looks around for rotten tomatoes in mid-air]
Score: 6
ericwyman Phish.net Staff Reply
ericwyman @andrewrose Thank you!

This is wildly reminiscent of the 12/31/10 Ghost. After the show ended, it was the greatest thing since sliced bread. A year later, not so much.

The tension filled first half is among THE WORST segments in any Light since Providence 10. The latter half is good and does have an inspirational soaring jam, but I have a hard time classifying this version as BEST of anything due to its inconsistency.
Score: 1
ericwyman Phish.net Staff Reply
ericwyman Oh and for the record, I would easily rank that Ghost above this Light as front-to-back pieces.
Score: 0
ItalianSpaghetti Reply
ItalianSpaghetti 13:50 - 14:10 is about as locked in as it gets for me. A very tropical scale run over a gritty groove that only lasts for 8 phrases. I remember a huge smile stretching across my face that evening. Thanks again Phish for a great run!
Score: 1
turquOiseMountain Reply
turquOiseMountain This makes me want to wear the dress to my next show.
Score: 0
turquOiseMountain Reply
turquOiseMountain @ericwyman said:
@andrewrose Thank you!

This is wildly reminiscent of the 12/31/10 Ghost. After the show ended, it was the greatest thing since sliced bread. A year later, not so much.

The tension filled first half is among THE WORST segments in any Light since Providence 10. The latter half is good and does have an inspirational soaring jam, but I have a hard time classifying this version as BEST of anything due to its inconsistency.
May I respectfully pose a question? In what way is this reminiscent of the 12/31/10 Ghost? Or by wildly, do you mean, not at all?
Score: 0
andrewrose Reply
andrewrose @turquOiseMountain said:
@ericwyman said:
@andrewrose Thank you!

This is wildly reminiscent of the 12/31/10 Ghost. After the show ended, it was the greatest thing since sliced bread. A year later, not so much.

The tension filled first half is among THE WORST segments in any Light since Providence 10. The latter half is good and does have an inspirational soaring jam, but I have a hard time classifying this version as BEST of anything due to its inconsistency.
May I respectfully pose a question? In what way is this reminiscent of the 12/31/10 Ghost? Or by wildly, do you mean, not at all?
I think he means in terms of its reception and regard among fans, not the jam itself.

@ItalianSpaghetti I do indeed love that middle segment. It's as juicy as it gets. Just feel like it's sandwiched between some stuff that's on the staler side.

I think the 8/19 Light is the best overall version we heard this year, probably to-date. 7/8 and 6/23 were both great, too. Shout-out to the 8/7/09 calypso-groove Light that no one seems to remember.
Score: 1
LightsWentOut Reply
LightsWentOut @andrewrose said:
I'll take the 8/31 Carini over this! [looks around for rotten tomatoes in mid-air]
While I am not going agree 100% that this Light jam is overrated, I would like to jump on the Carini bandwagon with you, @andrewrose. That 8/31 version was awesome. I think it gets overlooked because there we so many choice jams over that whole run of shows and it happened early on in the run. They really stretch that mother out and take it for a ride.
Score: 0
andrewrose Reply
andrewrose @LightsWentOut said:
@andrewrose said:
I'll take the 8/31 Carini over this! [looks around for rotten tomatoes in mid-air]
While I am not going agree 100% that this Light jam is overrated, I would like to jump on the Carini bandwagon with you, @andrewrose. That 8/31 version was awesome. I think it gets overlooked because there we so many choice jams over that whole run of shows and it happened early on in the run. They really stretch that mother out and take it for a ride.
Yeah totally. And a gorgeous ride at that. I was at 6/7 but I think Dick's blows it out of the water. I actually think this is one of the best Carini's ever, from any era.
Score: 0
parrott56 Reply
parrott56 Damn. I think 8/31 is the overrated show of the trifecta. Packed to the gills with jams, and HOLY FUCK IT'S NICE TO SAY THAT AGAIN -- just 15 songs! Still, I'll take both the big 9/1 jam sequence and the big 9/2 jam sequence over Carini, Undermind, Jim, AND Chalk Dust. The 8/31 jams just seem a little... safe. Premeditated. Sometimes less than fluid -- even awkward.

Look, I'm not knocking 8/31. It was a big, bold breath of fresh air. But I respectfully disagree that it's this Light that's getting overfluffed.
Score: 0
conradjohansen Reply
conradjohansen @parrott56 said:
Premeditated. Sometimes less than fluid -- even awkward.
Ummm, the Undermind and Chalkdust are as fluid as they get. beautiful jams that they took their time with building it up perfectly.
Score: 2
lumpblockclod Phish.net Staff Reply
lumpblockclod First off, the idea that the 9/1 Light, only one of the most gripping, intense, lift-you-off-your-feet jams they've played in the last for years, is overrated is ridiculous. It ranks among the very finest (i.e. Top 5) jams that they have performed since they've been back IMO. Take issue, if you must, with the first few minutes (it isn't bad by any stretch, but it isn't special either), but the last 15 min are pretty much unimpeachable and about as good as it gets as far as I'm concerned.

That said, 8/31 isn't overrated at all and almost has to be considered the best show of the three, even if you think (as I do) that the Light and Sand were the best two jams from Dicks. 8/31 was so good from start to finish and had four jams, any one of which would have been the highlight of over half of the shows this year.
Score: 3
andrewrose Reply
andrewrose @lumpblockclod said:
First off, the idea that the 9/1 Light, only one of the most gripping, intense, lift-you-off-your-feet jams they've played in the last for years, is overrated is ridiculous. It ranks among the very finest (i.e. Top 5) jams that they have performed since they've been back IMO. Take issue, if you must, with the first few minutes (it isn't bad by any stretch, but it isn't special either), but the last 15 min are pretty much unimpeachable and about as good as it gets as far as I'm concerned.

That said, 8/31 isn't overrated at all and almost has to be considered the best show of the three, even if you think (as I do) that the Light and Sand were the best two jams from Dicks. 8/31 was so good from start to finish and had four jams, any one of which would have been the highlight of over half of the shows this year.
I'll respectfully disagree here, and also take issue with the qualification of my opinion as 'ridiculous'. When you have lots of people calling it the jam of the summer, and "among the very finest (ie. Top 5) 5 jams that they have performed since they've been back," I think it's fair to at least question whether or not it's being overrated. I never suggested it wasn't great, just not that great. To my ears and my taste, it only starts to come together at around 10 minutes. Trey doing some of those quick jabs that Mike Boogie Ons-top off, while Page staccatos. Ok, cool enough. There's about 8 minutes of great development through this funky Manteca-like groove, before they get spacey and build up, but then again, to my ears they just kind of veer into a straight-ahead rock finale that's uninteresting (though the bluesy coda to close is neat). I would not put this jam in my Top 5 of 3.0 by any stretch though. I find the Sand considerably stronger, actually, much more cohesive and just as dynamic. But I don't think I'd put it above the 8/31 Chalk Dust, and probably on par with the rest of the 'big 4' 8/31 jams. ...

Yes, the kind of jams the band played on 8/31 are what I really chase. Taste is a funny thing, and I'm not about to tell anyone they're hearing something 'wrong' or that they're opinion is ridiculous. But as I see it, if the majority has a certain opinion that seems to be gaining steam, all the more reason to question it if you feel differently, no?
Score: 2
MrJones Reply
MrJones I also think that saying that this jam is overrated is ridiculous. This whole jam is cohesive, has multiple creative "movements" and created a space in the venue that really was impressive to witness.

I think the revisiting of the general concept of the jam in multiple incarnations is almost reminiscent of the revisiting of musical concepts in Miles Davis' Kind Of Blue album, as a theme. Not saying in key or sound but in concept. That jam could have ended many times but was patiently expanded on with contributions from everyone and continued to expand on the same musical idea.

This jam to me is an excellent example of creativity and patience.

Also the fact that they wrapped it up as it's own piece of music and didn't -> into something else really closed the whole tune. A fine piece of music that I feel could not be fluffed enough by fans.
Score: 0
TwiceBitten Reply
TwiceBitten @andrewrose said:
to my ears they just kind of veer into a straight-ahead rock finale that's uninteresting (though the bluesy coda to close is neat).
Couldn't agree with you more. All of the "rock jams" start to sound the same if you listen to enough of this stuff. Still a great jam and a great weekend, but 8/31/12 has got what I'm looking for.
Score: 0
lumpblockclod Phish.net Staff Reply
lumpblockclod @andrewrose, Apologies, I meant "ridiculous" only in the Phish nerd smack talk sense and not in the "I truly think your opinion is ridiculous" sense.
Score: 2
Chim_Richalds Reply
Set 2 night 3 was the best set hands down. the first night is a little fluffed

the 25 minute sand kills this light, although it was unreal
Score: 0
andrewrose Reply
andrewrose I think we can all agree, however, and I'm not sure who said it first (maybe @bertoletdown ..?) that the Dick's run as a whole is an embarrassment of riches. Finally starting to get around to giving some of the other Leg 2 highlights a third and forth listen. Have to say Long Beach is holding up pretty nicely in terms of laaaaaid baccccck beauty Phish. So much space in that RnR ... and that Hood!
Score: 1
nichobert Reply
nichobert It's hard to rank all these jams.

I'm not sure how I feel about that Hood. The rest of the guys seem so confused by Trey's aggressive atonal stabbing.. I haven't heard it in awhile though.

St. Louis is the forgotten show though.. Holy crap that second set is fluid. I love the Limb exclamation point.

And i feel that the uninteresting rock jam and bluesy coda are the same thing, aren't they? I love how restrained they slip into rocking harder, nice and patient, no shredding. but the little part at the end is part of the same theme they're into by around 17 minutes, Page really lays into it around 20 though.

This doesn't seem uninteresting to me at all thou

I guess it isn't Chicken Shack, but I'm surprised i haven't seen anybody else mention it.
Score: 0
maddyb4me Reply
maddyb4me Around the 10 to 15 minute mark.... I get chills every time I listen! The Phish from Vermont does it again!
Score: 0
safetymeeting Reply
safetymeeting Yeah, let the teens have their 9/1 "Light". I'll see you at my house, where it's 8/31/12 every day. Happy New Year!
Score: -1
Matt_Leaf Reply
Matt_Leaf Can we get a poster made of that shot?
Score: 0
seano Reply
@andrewrose said:
I think we can all agree, however, and I'm not sure who said it first (maybe @bertoletdown ..?) that the Dick's run as a whole is an embarrassment of riches. Finally starting to get around to giving some of the other Leg 2 highlights a third and forth listen. Have to say Long Beach is holding up pretty nicely in terms of laaaaaid baccccck beauty Phish. So much space in that RnR ... and that Hood!
Thank god someone brought up Long Beach, between Graham's and Dick's I was beginning to think it would be a forgotten gem. That 45 minutes spent on Rock and Roll -> Ghost is the bread and butter of Leg 2 for me, and for reasons that I'm guessing most phans overlook it for. You hear a lot of criticism about jams being too "careful", not allowing themselves to escape into uncharted territory. For me, this segment has it all. The RnR jam never feels too noisy, with each sound and effect chosen so carefully by each band member, and a surgeons touch on the notes played. Its the kind of jam that escapes into space through the back door, quietly and delicately. Going over it a few times, I still can hardly pick out any missed notes or dead ends. I think somewhere in the middle there Fish stops playing completely, and Trey holds back pretty much until the end of Ghost, but the jam always holds its flow and still keeps you in the stratosphere somehow.

It is tight yet laid back, and careful yet cosmic -- unlike most you'll hear from any era. But hey, it could be just me. I'm sure the fact that I was too close to see Page's face over his own piano grants me some bias! Ha, well fuck it, I'm digging this new modern touch. Long Beach all the way to Dick's is tits and beer.
Score: 1
ericwyman Phish.net Staff Reply
ericwyman @turquOiseMountain said:
@ericwyman said: [quote]May I respectfully pose a question? In what way is this reminiscent of the 12/31/10 Ghost? Or by wildly, do you mean, not at all?
@andrewrose was correct. I was speaking of its immediate reception.
Score: 0
ericwyman Phish.net Staff Reply
ericwyman @andrewrose said:
I think the 8/19 Light is the best overall version we heard this year, probably to-date. 7/8 and 6/23 were both great, too. Shout-out to the 8/7/09 calypso-groove Light that no one seems to remember.
You and I should clearly be besties. The Augusta Light is still my favorite complete version. The peak in 8/19 will be forever memorable and enhanced by my attendance.
Score: 0
ericwyman Phish.net Staff Reply
ericwyman @lumpblockclod said:
@andrewrose, Apologies, I meant "ridiculous" only in the Phish nerd smack talk sense and not in the "I truly think your opinion is ridiculous" sense.
I fully respect that my opinions are indeed "ridiculous" though.
Score: 1
ericwyman Phish.net Staff Reply
ericwyman @lumpblockclod Where does the Coventry Drowned rank on all-time lists? I personally think "Coventry Jam" is all-time top 10, but to say that is to deny the beginning stanza.

Comparing this with Dick's Light is "borderline ridiculous" (the lows aren't comparable) but it makes a general point. IMO, to be in top-10 discussions you need to have front to back excellence. That's why "the jam in ________" qualifier was invented.
Score: 0
lumpblockclod Phish.net Staff Reply
lumpblockclod @ericwyman But what do you mean by "front to back excellence"? As you note, the beginning of the Coventry Drowned is atrocious... borderline unlistenable. There's nothing remotely like that in the Dicks Light. You could call the beginning of it uninteresting I suppose, but you could find uninteresting parts of the Providence Bowie or the Mud Island Tweezer. That doesn't detract from their greatness, at least not to me. And maybe that's where we differ -- you really seem to actively dislike the beginning of the Dicks Light.
Score: 1
maki_supa Reply
@nichobert said:


And i feel that the uninteresting rock jam and bluesy coda are the same thing, aren't they? I love how restrained they slip into rocking harder, nice and patient, no shredding. but the little part at the end is part of the same theme they're into by around 17 minutes, Page really lays into it around 20 though.

This doesn't seem uninteresting to me at all thou

I guess it isn't Chicken Shack, but I'm surprised i haven't seen anybody else mention it.
this has always been my favorite part of the jam. they explore the same musical idea in so many ways and from so many angles, leading in such buttery smooth fashion to a raucous finale and great coda. it may be "bluesy shredding," but it's also an exclamation point at the end of a coherent piece that includes much more than that. takin in context, it's a pretty freaking outstanding piece of improv, imo. there is so much density to dissect and listen to that i can listen to this jam twice in a row and not get bored with it (in fact i just did)..

i wish i was there to see it, but i think the MSG run proved that they are at a point where they are confident and in the pudding enough to do this sort of thing, if not on a nightly basis, every other show or so. can't wait for this summer.
Score: 0

You must be logged in to leave a comment!

Username

Password




Register | Forgot Password

Login Register